Sunday, January 24, 2010

Yes, I'm Still Knitting ... What About You?





Saroyan is finished. It feels wonderful--how could it not, being made of Malabrigo Worsted? But what was I thinking?


This is a smallish shawl--a scarf really. It's narrow, about 12 or 14 inches at the widest part, and about 66 inches long. So, on someone, a shoulderette or I guess "shawlette" is the new word. On me, definitely a scarf.


Okay, so it feels wonderful, and looks good and was highly satisfactory to knit--the lace edge was fun and easy to memorize.


But ... I hate having anything around my neck.


Let's be honest. If someone wanted to give me an exquisite gold necklace from Italy that weighed what this piggy weighs, I'd find a way to wear it, and be highly grateful. But yarn ... and Malabrigo worsted at that ... it's hot. Not itchy, just hot.


So, once I get it blocked, it will go into the box to be set aside for this year's Christmas gifts. Or pulled out if I go to Utah during snow season. 


Any way you look at it, it's a Finished Object and that's never a bad thing. 


Also OTN: 






The ever-present sock, this one from Opal yarn from the stash. And, by the way, I'm pretty used to my wild socks, and you probably are too. But I knit with a new (to me) group of knitters out here in Pug Country (which some of my friends call, not too affectionately, East Alabama), and two of them visibly flinched when I pulled out the sock.


"Oh, my!" one said, shielding her eyes. "That's really ... bright ... isn't it?" 


"Whew!" said the other. "What are those colors anyway?"


Answer: fuschia, orange, and purple, of course. Thanks Opal Neon!


And, finally, the ubiquitous multidirectional scarf:






I bought two skeins of Koigu and thought it would be long enough but I had to break down and buy one more skein the other day to make it a wearable length. Thanks to Cast On Cottage for putting it aside for me.


So the socks and the scarf are my car knitting ... the stuff I do when I wait in the ATM line at the bank or in Atlanta's lovely traffic. But I guess this means I need to pull myself together and get back to the sleeves on my patchwork jacket if I think I'm going to wear it to The Mountain in three weeks.

No comments: