Sunday, September 16, 2007

What a Week!

This month has flown past, with a lot happening in a short time. Amazing. This week was a killer, too. Here's a little of the week's "doings."

On Monday, Debra and I took The Big Sock to Newnan (south of Atlanta) so the group there could knit on it. (I was just the travel buddy--Debra is the heart and soul of the TBS project here in ATL.) TBS is now back in Rochester, NY (I think) but I think they'll be impressed by the amount we got done on it.

A good-sized group met at Espresso Lane in downtown Newnan and we met some wonderful people. The staff at Espresso Lane were wonderful, too - very welcoming!




The next night we again drove south (who planned this itinerary?) to the Books-a-Million bookstore in Peachtree City. Here we shared the space with a very pleasant group of folks being addressed by a Buddhist monk. Luckily they were all into peace and love and not being irritated by the sock knitters and we co-existed without fisticuffs. Chris, one of my coworkers at The Big Corporation, brought his three kids who all had a great time knitting. Even Chris knit a few stitches--it was fun to have them share in this event and it was a perfect introduction to knitting for the kids.




Wednesday evening I went to the Alliance Theater to see The Women of Brewster Place, courtesy of The Other Diana, Claudia's friend (and, I hope, mine too). The play was lots of fun--how could Opening Night not be fun?--with some really terrific voices. It was my first time seeing a production at the Alliance and I'll definitely go back.

Thursday and Friday, TBC had a series of events for the first group of our employees to be separated--lunch on Thursday (billed as a "celebration" but we won't discuss the irony that involved), then an "asset collection" event on Friday. That one wasn't emotional enough--some idiot (me!) had scheduled a goodbye lunch for our assistant for the same day. I was so bummed by the time we finished lunch on Friday, I took off and went home. Only two more of these "last day events" to go, 11/9 and 12/21. At least I guess I won't have to work the 12/21 day! (There's always a silver lining.)

So what do the tough do when they get bummed? They go yarn shopping. First, though, they go to a koi show (well, Mr. Pug and I did, anyway, on Saturday). When we were done with our fishy behavior, Joyce and I went on a combination lunch and yarn crawl, always a good thing. I had fallen in love that morning with Muir, a new stole pattern on Knitty.com by Romi and had to buy yarn for it. I don't know what's happening to me--within the last two weeks I've bought sock yarn from Main Street Yarns and Only Ewe and Cotton Too (both at the guild meeting), more Malabrigo lace (green) at Cast On Cottage, more Jojoland Melody at Needlenook, and, finally, lace yarn yesterday at The Knitting Emporium. I have to stop buying yarn! (See 12/21 date above, I will have no income--stop me! On the other hand, if I have a prolonged period of unemployment, you know what I'll be doing.)

Anyway, somehow I lost my mind and bought twice as much as I needed. Well, I know what happened--I've been thinking about several new lace projects and got this one confused with the one I'll probably never make, The Secret of Chrysopolis, and bought two skeins of Cashwool, not just one. And, to cap it all off, I had them both wound, so now I guess I have TWO olive green shawls in my future. Oh, well, you can never have too much lace yarn.



(Were you wondering whether I'd abandoned my lovely Birch Malabrigo stole? Not! In fact, since the stitch count decreases from the top, I'm speeding through it. Well, speeding is a relative term, but it's moving, that's what's important. Here it is, in all its glory. I love this yarn--it's the softest thing ever and it's getting a little "halo" effect from being handled.)

Finally, Mr. Mailman brought a present, and we love it when that happens. Those wonderful girls at The Yarn Grove sent me a gift--a set of Swallow Casein DPNs to play with. I'm in heaven! Now to cast on some more socks!



But what did I do about looking for a job? Er, uh, maybe next week will be calmer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe you should make two olive shawls and give one to your sister...